Technology and the occasional justified rant

New job

Did you think I’d abandoned dadams.co.uk? May 2009 was the first zero-entry month since April 2007. It wasn’t that I didn’t have anything to write about – I did. Loads. IBM Lotus Connections 2.5 had been deployed internally (in April I think) but there’s so much in it to write about that I knew it was going to be a long job… so I didn’t get round to it (but I will). And then I became a Sametime Unified Telephony user, and at some point I’ll tell you about cool stuff like transferring from computer to mobile to home phone in the middle of a conference call with a few clicks in the Sametime client.

The other thing I was going to blog in May was my new job, but there were a few delays and it didn’t get formally announced until today. I’m not leaving IBM, I’m not leaving the Lotus brand, but I am spreading my wings a bit to lead the Messaging and Collaboration business in North-East Europe reporting to Vice President Aidan Troy… and thus I am officially ‘Messaging and Collaboration Business Unit Executive, North East Europe’. I may have to consider trimming that or getting an extra-long business card. In IBM-land, North East Europe consists of:

• UKI (that’s UK and Ireland)
  • Nordics (Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland… and Iceland too I think)
  • Germany (that’s, well, Germany)
  • Alps (Switzerland and Austria)

Admittedly, some of these are strange fits for ‘North East Europe’. Ireland and Iceland are the most westerly countries in Europe. The Netherlands is further North than both Switzerland and Austria, yet the Netherlands is classed as South West Europe. But it still makes more sense than South Africa being part of North East Europe, and it’s not any more.

Naturally, I’m irreplaceable, but the glutton for punishment who’s been elected to give it a whirl is Pete Hampton. Seriously, congratulations to Pete – he has a long history in the Lotus brand, full of successes and valuable experience, and from the moment he heard about the opportunity he pushed himself forward and proved his worth. Great news for Pete, and great news for me too as I have created a mail rule to forward anything that starts with “I was given your name by…” straight to him. He has agreed to leave it at least a month before he starts doing a better job than I ever did.

…works for Microsoft as a Global Account Technology Strategist. In a former life he worked for the Lotus brand within IBM for many years. Married with one daughter and two dogs, lives in Camberley (Surrey, England), plays the guitar to a mediocre standard, and runs 10 kms and half marathons at an average speed. That’s it really.

Lotus

Darren Adams • 5 June 2009

Previous Post

Next Post

Comments

1. Carl Tyler 5 June 2009 - 4:14 am Reply

Congratulations Darren! Amazing how we’ve all moved on from those days on the phone.

Aidan is great to work with, should be a good team.

Again congrats!

2. Andy Dennis 5 June 2009 - 9:02 am Reply

Well Done Darren!! Always been a pleasure working with you, and I’m sure you will do well in your new role!

3. Steve Castledine 5 June 2009 - 10:22 am Reply

Huge congrats Darren!

4. Paul Mooney 5 June 2009 - 11:45 am Reply

Well deserved! Well done!

5. Volker Weber 5 June 2009 - 1:50 pm Reply

Congratulations, Darren. Well deserved.

6. Rob Novak 5 June 2009 - 3:51 pm Reply

Well deserved and big congratulations!

7. Florida Steve 5 June 2009 - 4:23 pm Reply

Well done mate….. I hope there’s a suitable monetary consideration involved!!

Word of advice…. try not to schedule any meetings in Finland in January. You have no idea what cold means until you’ve done Helsinki in winter.

8. Ports 5 June 2009 - 4:54 pm Reply

Excellent News. Well done Daz.

9. Darren 5 June 2009 - 5:46 pm Reply

@7 – Steve, money was not the driver behind this, but I live in hope. I think going into these things with an immediate money / grade-rise expectation is misguided.

Pete and I had a part 1 hand-over meeting today. He left visibly shaken 😉

Thank you everyone, the sentiments are a lot kinder than someone from Lotus world-wide who suggested that Aidan looked around a meeting room and said “him, he’ll do”. They were joking of course. I think they were…

10. Hayley 5 June 2009 - 8:04 pm Reply

Hey, well done CyberDaz! Looking forward to seeing you on the 28th.

11. Dave Hay 7 June 2009 - 3:59 pm Reply

Darren – CONGRATULUATIONS on your move. It’s definitely a case of Best Person For The Job, and long overdue. I’m now looking forward to Pete’s Sametime status message being “I don’t do technical support”.

See you Tuesday ( where no man has gone before )

12. Darren 7 June 2009 - 7:08 pm Reply

I’m still going to say “I don’t do technical support” but in eight different languages.

I don’t know about no man having gone there before, but I haven’t been to Camberley cinema yet… well, it only opened last November.

13. Eileen Fitzgerald 10 June 2009 - 8:20 am Reply

Congrats, well deserved and well done

14. Rob Novak 11 June 2009 - 1:36 am Reply

Darren, you realize this just makes you THAT MUCH MORE QUALIFIED to fix your relatives’ PC problems.

15. Darren 11 June 2009 - 9:05 am Reply

@14 – actually I’m positioning myself as moving away from the technical side of things, although as yet it hasn’t created a drop in the demand for technical support.

16. Grant Norman 18 June 2009 - 12:05 pm Reply

Congratulations Darren. Sounds like a decent step in responsibilities. Hope it goes well